So here I was, sitting in a condo on the beach on the fourth day of vacation, feeling like I might be able to compete with the whales in the ocean. You see, thanks to a couple of changes in my routines, here I was, so bloated my usually comfortable jeans were cutting into my stomach--and the kids were begging me to join them and head out to the beach.
Needless to say, I was not looking forward to donning anything resembling a swimsuit with that vacay bloat poofing out my tummy and making me look and feel 10 pounds heavier!
So what could I do? How could I instantly relieve bloating and get my stomach back on track? My jeans were feeling so tight they were cutting into my tummy. Admittedly, I had eaten a little differently than usual and I had consumed a few more alcoholic beverages--it was vacation, after all. But I wanted to reduce that bloat RIGHT NOW in order to feel more comfortable, both physically and mentally (who wants a bloated tummy in a bikini?).
Here are the best tips I've learned over the years to quickly and even instantly relieve bloating in your stomach.
Try these DIY remedies to instantly relieve bloating in your tummy and abdominal area!
- Drink plenty of water--I know it might seem counter-intuitive, but when you feel bloated, drinking extra water can actually help reduce the bloat. You see, bloating is sometimes caused by dehydration. Your body thinks you won't give it the water it needs, so it holds on to the water it's got. Give it enough, and it'll release the salt and toxins that are causing you to bloat.
- Eat (or drink) your greens--In my case, since I was on vacation, I didn't have all of my usual supplies to quickly reduce the bloat. But I did remember to bring along my It Works 'The Greens," a powdered drink that is 10 calories and contains a full serving of a bunch of different superfoods. For whatever reason, it instantly (and I mean, within an hour) reduced my bloating so much that I actually lost about 2 inches around the waist, making my jeans comfortable around my tummy once again. (I love almost everything from It Works, to be fair--but I'm not kidding--it literally worked just like this).
- Wrap it up--If you've got the time, a 45-minute body wrap can also do the trick. I tend to wear these under my clothes with a pair of Spanx if I'm just bumming around the house. You can lose inches in hours, and you see a bigger effect by the third day. I don't know how much permanent change these things can make, but I know they definitely tighten my skin and make it appear more toned. I especially appreciate this in regard to the lower section of my tummy (thanks to three c-sections, it's not beautiful, but these things help!) and on my breasts (they look 10 years younger when I wrap them--and that's after nursing three babies!). On a sort of unrelated note, I also LOOOOVE the facials and skincare stuff!! They make my face look literally 10 years younger! No joke.
- Take simethicone capsules--Gas X, Phazyme, Mylicon or literally any store brand will work. This is the same stuff that they give to newborns who have gas, so you know it's fairly safe. I have had a ton of success with reducing bloat pretty quickly with these low-cost OTC gel capsules. They usually work within an hour or so, but you might need to take another dose within a few hours. I have bought the store brand for as cheap as $3 for 20 capsules--and it works just as well as any other brand for me.
- Try a cleanse--I'm not going to advocate cleanses for everyone, because this can be dangerous for people with certain health concerns--so as with all other tips and advice on this site, you should always, always consult a medical professional before trying this at home. With that being said, I'm really loving the new My BFF formula from MTM Body (I was given a preview of the product as a networking partner). Stay tuned for a full review, but trust me when I tell you you'll love this stuff! In the meantime, or to save some money, there's always the very effective and reasonably priced Walgreens Colon Cleanse. It's the generic form of a name brand I can't remember right now, but it's half the price and it's totally worth it. Just be prepared to poop a lot! 🙂
- Doctor's advice for your body-- Everyone's body is different, and Depending on who you are and who you ask, there are hundreds of home remedies to instantly relieve bloating in your stomach. But whether you try one of Dr. Oz's many suggestions (among them, dandelion tea, water and magnesium) or you decide to go to your personal doctor to find the solution that is right for you, try asking your doctor or other healthcare practitioner if nothing else is working for you.
What are your best tips to instantly relieve bloating in your tummy and midsection? Share your experiences with your fellow bliss-seekers in the comments section, below!