Take the Narcissistic Personality Inventory Test Here
That is what makes the test so controversial for some: it’s possible to score high even if you aren’t a toxic narcissist – because, based on the test, ALL narcissism is “bad” – but in reality, there is such a thing as a healthy amount of narcissism.
Researchers say that people who score high on the NPI are more likely to cheat in game-play and romantic relationships. They also put themselves before others by taking more resources for themselves and leave fewer for others, and they value material things above people. They also might be obsessively concerned with their outer appearance – unless, of course, they’re a covert type of narcissist.
Narcissistic Personality Inventory Test With Scoring Guide: 40 Questions
Here’s the test in writing. Read each question and choose A or B. Write down your answers or type them into a document, and then score them using the guide at the end of the test.
B. I am not good at influencing people.2. A. Modesty doesn’t become me.
B. I am essentially a modest person.
B. I tend to be a fairly cautious person.
4. A. When people compliment me I sometimes get embarrassed.
B. I know that I am good because everybody keeps telling me so.
6. A. I can usually talk my way out of anything.
7. A. I prefer to blend in with the crowd.
8. A. I will be a success.
9. A. I am no better or worse than most people.
10. A. I am not sure if I would make a good leader.
11. A. I am assertive.
12. A. I like to have authority over other people.
13. A. I find it easy to manipulate people.
14. A. I insist upon getting the respect that is due me.
15. A. I don’t particularly like to show off my body.
16. A. I can read people like a book.
17. A. If I feel competent I am willing to take responsibility for making decisions.
18. A. I just want to be reasonably happy.
19. A. My body is nothing special.
20. A. I try not to be a show off.
21. A. I always know what I am doing.
22. A. I sometimes depend on people to get things done.
23. A. Sometimes I tell good stories.
24. A. I expect a great deal from other people.
25. A. I will never be satisfied until I get all that I deserve.
26. A. Compliments embarrass me.
27. A. I have a strong will to power.
28. A. I don’t care about new fads and fashions.
29. A. I like to look at myself in the mirror.
30. A. I really like to be the center of attention.
31. A. I can live my life in any way I want to.
32. A. Being an authority doesn’t mean that much to me.
33. A. I would prefer to be a leader.
34. A. I am going to be a great person.
35. A. People sometimes believe what I tell them.
36. A. I am a born leader.
37. A. I wish somebody would someday write my biography.
38. A. I get upset when people don’t notice how I look when I go out in public.
39. A. I am more capable than other people.
40. A. I am much like everybody else.
SCORING KEY: Assign one point for each response that matches the key.
1, 2 and 3: A4, 5: B6: A7: B8: A9, 10: B11, 12, 13, 14: A15: B16: A17, 18, 19, 20: B21: A22, 23: B24, 25: A26: B27: A28: B29, 30, 31: A32: B33, 34: A35: B36, 37, 38, 39: A40: B
- The average score for the general population is 15.3. The average score for celebrities is 17.8.
- It’s really important that you consider which traits are dominant. So, a final score that reflects more points on vanity, entitlement, exhibitionism and exploitiveness should raise more concern than than a high score in authority, self-sufficiency and superiority, for example.
The seven narcissistic component traits by question:
- Authority: 1, 8, 10, 11, 12, 32, 33, 36
- Self-sufficiency: 17, 21, 22, 31, 34, 39
- Superiority: 4, 9, 26, 37, 40
- Exhibitionism: 2, 3, 7, 20, 28, 30, 38
- Exploitativeness: 6, 13, 16, 23, 35
- Vanity: 15, 19, 29
- Entitlement: 5, 14, 18, 24, 25, 27