Looking for a reason to celebrate? I'm all about celebrating life, and that's why we recently launched our EverydayHoliday column. Today, September 17, we're celebrating all kinds of fun ones, including Constitution Day and Citizenship Day, National Apple Dumpling Day, National Monte Cristo Day and more.
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
According to National Day Calendar, Constitution Day and Citizenship Day is an American federal observance that commemorates the adoption of the Constitution of the United States and those who have become United States citizens. This day is observed each year on September 17, which is the day the U.S. Constitutional Convention signed the Constitution in 1787.
To celebrate, NDC recommends that you use #ConstitutionDay or #CitizenshipDay to post on social media.
National Apple Dumpling Day
With the arrival of fall and cool weather, two things happen: the apple harvest begins, and people turn indoors to cooking and baking again. It's only natural that apples are a big part of the cooking scene. Among the most popular of fall treats is apple dumplings. For those of you who enjoy ice cream, some apple dumpling recipes include a scoop of ice cream atop a generous piece of Apple Dumpling.
See more at Holiday Insights. Oh - and here's an amazing recipe for Amish Apple Dumplings from blogger Lizzy T.
National Monte Cristo Day
According to National Day Calendar, National Monte Cristo Day is a day to indulge and enjoy an excellent sandwich.
"A Monte Cristo is a fried ham and cheese sandwich. It is a variation of a French sandwich called a croque-monsieur. The Monte Cristo is also sometimes called French Sandwich, Toasted Ham Sandwich, and French Toasted Cheese Sandwich."
Read more about National Monte Christo Day at National Day Calendar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 slices sturdy white sandwich bread
- 8 slices turkey breast
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices Black Forest or other ham
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup raspberry or strawberry jam (optional)
- In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk to combine.
- Lay a slice of bread on a work surface and top with 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham and a second slice of bread. Repeat to assemble remaining sandwiches.
- Warm a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Melt butter (if pan is not large enough to accommodate all 4 sandwiches, melt half of butter and cook sandwiches in 2 batches). When butter sizzles, swirl pan to coat.
- Carefully dip each sandwich in egg mixture, turning to lightly coat both sides. Shake off excess egg mixture. Leaving too much on will make them soggy. Just give each side a light dip in the mixture. Lay sandwiches in hot pan. Cook, turning once, until sandwiches are well-browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- To serve, cut sandwiches in half diagonally and sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Top each sandwich half with a small dollop of jam, or serve jam alongside for dipping.
- Amazing recipe from Real Mom Kitchen - see the full info here: http://realmomkitchen.com/1460/monte-cristo-sandwiches/
More Ways to Celebrate September 17
According the WikiPedia, the following holidays are also observed around the world on September 17.
- Australian Citizenship Day (Australia)
- Christian feast day:
- Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls Saturday, the following Monday if on a Sunday), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day. (United States)
- Heroes' Day (Angola)
- Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day. (Netherlands)
- Teacher's Day (Honduras)