According to NationalDayCalendar.com, September 20 is:
Wife Appreciation Day – Third Sunday in September
Some popular ways to observe Wife Appreciation Day are with a gift of flowers, perfume, jewelry or clothing. A day at a spa, tickets to a show and dinner at a nice restaurant are also nice ways to show appreciation. A foot massage and cooking breakfast or dinner at home can also be a very nice way to say, “Thank you for all the things you do every day. I appreciate them.” Use #WifeAppreciationDay to post on social media.
Though it's funny to imagine that National Punch Day could correlate with wives who don't feel appreciated enough (and want to punch their hubbies instead) - given that it's wife appreciation day, the truth is that National Punch Day isn't really about that kind of punch. It's more about the kind you drink.
Interesting things that happened Sept. 20 in History
- 1878 - On Sept. 20, 1878, Upton Sinclair, author of "The Jungle" and passionate crusader for social reform, was born.
- 1919 - Babe Ruth ties Ned Williamson's major league mark of 27 HRs
- 1934 - Sophia Loren was born on Sept. 20, 1934. National Punch Day: Angie's Favorite Punch Recipe2015-09-20 15:48:32A tasty punch that people actually want to drink.Write a reviewIngredients
- 2 - 2 liter bottles of Squirt or other citrus-soda (I prefer Squirt)
- Your choice of fruit (I like to use marachino cherries, pineapple, peaches, mandarin oranges, etc.)
- Fruit juice of your choice (I just use the juice that comes with the above mentioned fruits)
- 1 Bottle of Dry Gin (OPTIONAL, Your choice of brand)
- Ice Chips or Frozen Fruit
- Up to 24 hours before your event, soak the fruit in the gin, if using it. Keep mixture in the fridge.
- Add ice or frozen fruit to bottom of punch bowl
- Add gin-soaked fruit to next layer (with gin)
- Pour in up to 1 cup of additional juice (optional)
- Slowly pour squirt in the punch bowl
- Gently stir and serve immediately.
- For a kid-friendly version, omit the gin and add juice of your choice.
- 1963 - JFK proposes a joint US-Soviet voyage to the moon
- 1964 - Paramount Theater (NYC) presented the Beatles with Steve & Eydie
- 1966 - US Surveyor B launched toward Moon; crashed Sept 23
- 1973 - Bille Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in battle-of-sexes tennis match--On Sept. 20, 1973, Billie Jean King defeated Bobby Riggs in straight sets 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 in a $100,000 winner-take-all tennis match.
According to WikiPedia, the following are also celebrated on Sept. 20:
- Christian feast day:
- John Coleridge Patteson (commemoration, Anglicanism)
- Ragamuffin War (Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul)
- Independence Day of South Ossetia (not fully recognized)
- National Youth Day (Thailand)
- Oil Workers' Day (Azerbaijan)
- The seventh day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the secret rites in the Telesterion began. (Ancient Greece)
- Universal Children's Day (Germany)