The EveryDay Holiday column is all about celebrating life, every day.
Happy National Pecan Day! Enjoy my simple (but AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS) chocolate caramel pecan cookie recipe. Three ingredients - no kidding!
Note: Save the recipe to your device by right clicking on the photo and hitting "save as."
On September 21, we are celebrating the following.
- National Pecan Cookie Day (Here's another awesome Pecan Cookie recipe from Martha Stewart!)
- World’s Alzheimer’s Day
- International Day of Peace
Interesting Facts About Sept. 21 From the New York Times:
- 1897 - The New York Sun ran an editorial answering a question from an 8-year-old girl that included the line, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."
- 1931 - Britain went off the gold standard.
- 1937 - "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien was published.
- 1983 - Interior Secretary James G. Watt described a special advisory panel as consisting of "a black ... a woman, two Jews and a cripple." Watt later apologized and resigned.
- 1996 - The board of Virginia Military Institute voted to admit women.
- 1998 - President Bill Clinton's videotaped grand jury testimony in the Monica Lewinsky scandal was publicly broadcast, showing him answering one question from prosecutors by saying, "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is."
- 2001 - Congress approved $15 billion to help an airline industry reeling from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
- 2004 - The album "American Idiot" by Green Day was released.
2008 - "Mad Men" became the first basic-cable show to win a top series Emmy award.
And according to WikiPedia, the following holidays are also observed on September 21.
- Autumnal equinox observances in the Northern hemisphere, vernal equinox observances in the Southern hemisphere (see September 22):
- Christian feast day:
- Founder's Day (Ghana) and National Volunteer Day (Ghana)
- Independence Day (Armenia), celebrates the independence of Armenia from the Soviet Union in 1991.
- Independence Day (Belize), celebrates the independence of Belize from the United Kingdom in 1981.
- Independence Day (Malta), celebrates the independence of Malta from the United Kingdom in 1964.
- International Day of Peace (International)