"Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them." ~Jack Canfield
A success mindset starts with goal-setting, but it also needs a few other components to be able to weather your days. These include vision, drive, motivation. The usual. But hey, good news!
It's not all that complicated - and in fact, I've got the easiest way you've ever heard for getting stuff done. Here we go!
I know this will seem over-simplified to you, but stick with me here. You can baby-step your way to your dreams. Wanna know how? It's all about setting goals.
The Smart Girl's Guide to Effective Goal-Setting
Most of us have a vague idea of what we'd like to accomplish, but few have true, concrete goals. A goal is analogous to a target. Without a goal, you're just drifting along hoping for things to improve. With a goal, you have a definite direction and purpose.
Though we've all been told how important targets are, few of us have ever been given specific directions regarding how to formulate an effective goal.
Give your goal these characteristics and you'll be on your way to success.
1. Specific. Acquiring a new car isn't specific. Acquiring a 2015, silver Honda Civic with the navigation package and luggage rack is specific. Be as specific as you need to be, but not more.
- If your goal is to meet the man of your dreams, does he really have to be over 6 feet tall and have a dimple in his chin? It's important to have a clear target, but too much specificity limits your options. Stick to the important characteristics.
2. Time-bound. Without a timeline, you might find yourself waiting for a long time because you'll be unlikely to ever get started. Having an endpoint date creates focus and urgency.
- An effective endpoint date is no more than 12 weeks into the future. If your goal will take longer than that, break it into smaller goals. Anything beyond 12 weeks will cause your focus to wane. It's far too easy to procrastinate with goals set too far in the future.
3. Possible. If you don't believe you can achieve your goal, you won't pursue it. What would be the point? Start with a goal small enough that you believe it can be done within the timeframe you've set.
- Do you have the necessary resources and time to reach your goal before the deadline?
4. Measurable. If you can't measure it, how will you know if you've achieved it? How will you know if you're making progress? Goals that deal with money or bodyweight, for example, are easy to quantify. A goal to take a trip to Hawaii is also easy to measure, because you either did it or you didn't.
- Goals that deal with less quantifiable characteristics, such as money, can be a little more challenging. You might have to develop your own measuring scale. Ensure your goal can be measured before you get started.
5. Reviewed regularly. One of the most effective ways to prioritize your goals is to review them at least daily. With so many thoughts and ideas flying around in your head, a daily review of your goals will help them to rise above the noise. Take a few minutes each day to review your goals at least once.
- *Take enough time to re-write, read, and visualize your goals.
After you've created your goal, make a list of actions that will lead to attaining it. Too many of us spend too much time in our head to be successful. Things only change when new actions are taking place. Start at the end and work your way back to the present. What step could you take today toward reaching your goal?
When you've completed all of the steps, your goal should be a reality - whether that's a goal of losing 100 pounds or one of starting a new project or phase in your life.
Goals are the key to reliable achievement. Ask your successful and unsuccessful friends about their goals compared to their results in life. Those with goals regularly outperform those without. If you don't have any goals, hurry up and make a few! If your life isn't fulfilling, a few goals can make the difference.
One of the biggest goals I've managed to hit so far is losing more than 100 pounds, which I chronicled in my book Project Blissful. Continuing with my efforts to take the message to the masses, I've released the next edition in the Project Blissful series.
This one's called 227 Super-Simple, Super-Sexy Summer SlimDown Strategies: The Smart Girl’s Guide to a Very Sexy Summer, and it's an inspirational guide designed to help you take control of your weight before this summer and to help you become the sexiest, healthiest possible version of yourself.
This one is also a toolkit that contains everything you’ll need to identify your issues and begin to resolve them, one baby step at a time.
Ready to transform your mind, body and your life? This book will help you get started.
This book offers you:
- Practical and easy ways to start dropping weight, right now.
- Comprehensive routines that teach you to make small daily choices that will transform your life.
- An insight into finding your personal weight loss inspiration.
- Tips for finding and embracing your personal motivation to lose weight.
- Proven techniques to propel yourself out of the unsatisfying prison of being miserable and overweight.
- Expert workout tips that will work for anyone, regardless of fitness level.
- Self-care advice that will help to improve your self-confidence and perception of yourself.
- Ideas for getting through common summertime weight loss blocks.
- Tips for creating and enforcing personal and food-related boundaries.
- Advice for loving yourself and truly accepting yourself so that you can naturally become your physical best.
- An understanding of how your perception creates your reality and how to manipulate the universal laws to your advantage when it comes to weight loss.
- And much more is available in this all-inclusive ebook/toolkit - visit the full listing on Amazon.com's site for details.
This book is exactly what you’ve been looking for if you’re at a point in your life where you know you’re ready to get and stay healthy, but you’re not exactly sure where to start. It offers powerful and simple secrets, tricks and baby steps that will help take your life from not-so-great to over the moon.