“The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.” ~Benjamin Disraeli
This weekend, take a break from your job, but give your career a boost. Try these 14 simple things you can do to advance your career online and offline. They’re all quick enough to squeeze in between Friday and Monday while still giving you plenty of time to sleep in or hang out with friends.
Related: Are you a work-at-home mom? You might enjoy our new sister site, The WAHM Club – check it out here.
Supercharge Your Career: Simple Online Career Hacks
- Post a new picture. Photographs are often the first thing visitors notice about your profile. Start out with a high-quality image. Use Photoshop to adjust the lighting and remove any blemishes.
- Focus on your hub. Think about where you want hiring managers to see you. Your main presence online might be your website, landing page, or blog. If you rarely post any updates, your LinkedIn profile could be the most effective choice. Whatever your showcase, keep it current and engaging.
- Research compensation. Find out how much your skills are worth. That way you’ll have the facts you need for salary discussions.
- Discover a new app. Simplify your professional life with apps that will save you time and make you more productive. Take your to-do list to a whole new level or check out the latest organizing tool.
- Join a LinkedIn group. Extend your network by participating in a group related to your field. Post a question or share your expertise.
- Follow someone on Twitter. Reach out to a thought leader or follow up with a colleague you sat next to at a fundraiser last week. Re-tweet some of their posts.
- Like a company on Facebook. Maybe you dream about working for Google or Apple. Like them today so you’ll receive updates about their activities and have more to talk about if you land an interview. Might as well hit them on LinkedIn while you’re at it!
- Clean up your inbox. Weed out the clutter so you can stay on top of your new activities. Unsubscribe from newsletters you rarely read and combine your favorite subscriptions.
Supercharge Your Career: Offline Career Hacks
- Attend networking events. Set a goal for how many professional events you want to attend in the coming month or over the next year. Show up with an agenda for what you’re looking to accomplish, whether it’s meeting new clients or learning about recent regulatory changes.
- Update your look. When was the last time you tried a new hairstyle? Book an appointment at a popular salon or visit a makeup counter for some new tips.
- Rehearse your elevator pitch. Introduce yourself in a way that makes others eager to learn more. Come up with a memorable statement about what you do and who you do it for.
- Volunteer in your community. Helping others can be good for your career prospects. Organize a car wash to raise money for your children’s school or join a group that cleans up local parks. You’ll make new contacts and add to your experience.
- Develop a side job. Sell your handmade crafts at a neighborhood boutique or offer logo design services to small businesses. Your hobby could provide income while you build up your portfolio.
Cultivate career advisors. Feedback from others provides the information and encouragement you need to leverage your strengths. Invite your former boss out to lunch or ask a friend to rehearse a job interview with you.
Return to the office on Monday knowing that you’ve enhanced your credentials and prepared yourself to take on greater challenges and responsibilities. Building your brand, strengthening your relationships, and learning new information will help you to map out your career path and move ahead.
What are your best ideas for quick-hacking your career this weekend? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section.
You might also like to read: