Just Plain Weird Things Narcissists Do
- Changed his name to a character from a movie. Expected everyone to call him Rhett, then wanted me to be Scarlett like I was reading a line on a script.
- After our daughter was born he kept her placenta in a jar and took it everywhere with him.
- Saying I cannot be LGBTQ because he read a book on it, then saying the same to a friend who is a Jewish woman, because “how could she possibly know? She never read the book!”
- While we were in church, every time we pray, he would get up and leave.
- He would regularly sleep only about two hours a night. Claimed two hours sleep was enough for anyone.
- He threw me on the floor. Then got out every single left-over prescription bottle he could find and took pictures. He then called the cops to have me arrested for hitting him while I was taking too many meds. 😂 That backfired. They showed up and he looked crazy.
- We were going on vacation and we needed someone to feed our pets. Well I posted on Facebook that we needed help and one of my female friends said she could do it. The night before we left, I bought some more food and decided to put the last bit of food out the bag.
When I poured the food out, a pillow case fell out the bag. The bag was crumpled up from use and I knew someone intentionally put it in there, so I asked my youngest daughter did she do it and she said no. I asked her because she’s eight yrs old. I have two other kids and they said they didn’t do it. I even asked my wife and wouldn’t you know that she said she didn’t do it. I guess we have poltergeists!!
- He tried to sell all my clothes to his female attorney. He said he split all the towel sets because they are community property and everything is 50/50 lol….I did eventually get some of my clothes back …all of the bathing suit bottoms were missing.
- He bought a special type of linoleum flooring to make a huge circle. He drew the 4 corners and bought a golden cistern to summon demons to tell us the future of the world. He and I were the 2 witnesses spoke of in Revelation. He also wanted to kill a calf & make pants from it, start walking in those pants, state the name of a different city/country and supposedly he orbed there or something.. he used to say stuff like “I can’t help it if God chose me” (LOL – the “chosen”one). he went to Jerusalem to get closer to God but ended up sleeping with every hooker there. Telling me how amazing he was, that some nights he only wanted to “hold them all night”
- When my husband all of a sudden decided to discard me 14 years ago (he didn’t leave — he just stopped talking to me for years and acting very hostile), he stopped letting me do his laundry. He would hide it and then do it after I went to bed at night. I seriously thought he had a brain tumor or something! He’s only recently told me why, and he said it was because he didn’t want to have to depend on me for anything! Eventually, he let me start doing his laundry again, though. Surprise, surprise.
- Once he racked up a $500 phone bill to a sex line – in MY name, denied it, threatened to sue the phone sex company until they showed him the recordings of the phone calls.. guess who paid it..but he was outraged when I didn’t outwardly profess my utmost respect for him, for he was a chosen prophet of God, and had more talent and power in the tip of his little finger than I and all my “stupid little friends” had put together… ugh.. it takes all types i suppose… some people are plain strange.. I’m grateful that I’ve been away from him for over 20 years… But… I wonder whenever I look back “WTF was I thinking??!”
- Mine worked at a hospital as a patient care tech and would steal things from work and bring them home in his lunch cooler. He started off with coffee packets and when I told him hospital coffee was terrible he said hey, it’s free. I asked him not to steal any more coffee, so he didn’t…he stole washcloths. He could pack so many of those in his lunch cooler and every day he would come home with at least a half dozen. We ended up with drawers and drawers full of washcloths. They were taking over the place.
- how about throwing a literal 2 year old temper tantrum in a doctor’s office when I didn’t immediately cower to his threats?? (complete with death threats) followed the next day by an attempt to get a RO….at which point the video I blatantly and openly took paid off big time!!
- When watching 4th of july fireworks, he would cover his eyes when one burst. I don’t know why he even came, he refused to look up. thought his eyes would burn up.
- Obsession over dying and aging – not in a healthy way, like getting ready for it. But like they are the only one and such a victim
- Saying they believe in reincarnation but they were a king or princess or a medicine woman. Never a peasant or ordinary citizen
- He wore sunglasses IN the house on sunny days.
- He’s terrified of the number 53! He swears it follows him and haunts his dreams!! He says he’s gonna die when he’s 53 because the number won’t stop chasing him!!
- He chews on the side of his finger when he’s nervous.
- When we moved in together he gave me a ring he said he’d been given years ago by an old man he was friends with and said it would one day be his wedding ring. He asked me to wear it around my neck as a sign we would be engaged soon. I did. We got married and he had it as his ring. Fast forward to me finding out 3 years later that he had been married before and the ring was the same one he used for that marriage!
- in the car if someone drove by us in a nicer car he yell out the window “ I hope you get cancer and aids or get in a horrible accident you asshole!!!” We got followed quite a few times. He’d call the cops and play the victim card.
- Throw himself down in the floor and kick and scream, saying “this is too hard to keep up.” I’m assuming it was the mask he was wearing at the time !
- Suddenly he’s super religious — but only when someone is looking. So he’ll be on his knees praying in his bedroom with the door open. Or reading his Bible, but only if I’m there to observe. He takes his Bible to work and only reads it when someone might see him do it. Very pious.
- He’s always “accidentally” breaking stuff. I’m not sure if that’s a weird narcissist thing. I used to make him replace things. Now I don’t care, since I know I’m leaving. He can keep it all.
- He was watching Sunday Mass on TV with no shirt on and had a cigarette in his mouth. He had recently gotten out of bed after very late night out doing ‘whatever.’ The priest on TV had his arms up to each side and was praying out loud over the altar. The (Histrionic) Narcissist was acting as though he was deeply involved with the TV and he was pretending to be the priest and he held his arms up and out and was praying out loud along with the priest, cigarette dangling from his mouth. The Narcissist had delusions about being the Messiah despite being very far from godly. It was very creepy to watch but oddly humorous in a disturbing way.
- Things “disappear” quite often. And he often “misplaces” things. He’s got a huge key ring of his keys under the floor mat of my truck (that he rarely drives) right now. Not sure what that’s all about, so they can just stay there!
told me I was only allowed to have 2 bad days a week, at least that’s all he was willing to hear about if I had anymore. After I told him it was going to work long term, he called me on my way to work one day and told me he just wanted to let me know he called CPS on me.
- He had fierce (and I mean serious!) superstitions about weird things like white lighters; refused to use them, wouldn’t allow them in our house, etc ad nauseam.
- Go into a sneezing fit (he refused to get allergy treatment) which would scare me because he screamed when he sneezed (very loud and sudden) then yelled at me for an hour afterwards just because I flinched when I was scared (didn’t make a noise or complain while he had a sneezing fit in my home office while I was working.)
- We were newlyweds. I made my very first quiche from scratch and we had it for dinner with salad. Oh, he enjoyed that quiche and had three large pieces. ‘This quiche is delicious,’ he said and i was so pleased. He asked ‘What’s in it?’ I told him, ‘Swiss cheese, eggs, onions… ‘He interrupted me, furious! ‘Swiss Cheese???? I HATE Swiss cheese!’ He shoved his plate toward me angrily and left the table!
- Walk back and forth having a full conversation with another person (other person was NOT present) speaking for both sides and working out scenarios. So weird.
- went through my things when I left the room. That was weird enough, but he also left his phone with me when he deployed and via his iCloud account I could see all the messages in which he was flirting with other women, etc. 😐😐 then denied it. His ex-actually reached out to me and told me about him but he of course said she was just crazy and I should block her.
Angela Atkinson is a Certified Life Coach and the author of more than 20 books on narcissism, narcissistic abuse recovery and related topics. A recognized expert on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder who has studied and written extensively on narcissistic relationships since 2006, Atkinson was inspired to begin her work as a result of having survived toxic relationships of her own.
Atkinson offers trauma-informed coaching and has certifications in life coaching, level 2 therapeutic model, CBT coaching, integrative wellness coaching, and NLP. She is a certified trauma support coach and certified family trauma professional. She also has a professional PTSD counseling certification. Her mission is to help those who have experienced the emotional and mental devastation that comes with narcissistic abuse in these incredibly toxic relationships to (re)discover their true selves, stop the gaslighting and manipulation and move forward into their genuine desires – into a life that is exactly what they choose for themselves.
Along with her solution-focused life coaching experience, Atkinson’s previous career in journalism and research helps her to offer both accurate and understandable information for survivors of abuse in a simple-to-understand way that helps to increase awareness in the narcissistic abuse recovery community. Atkinson founded QueenBeeing.com Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support, the SPANily Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support Groups and the Life Makeover Academy. In her life coaching practice, Atkinson’s clients enjoy her personalized approach that allows and encourages them to become the best possible versions of themselves and to succeed in doing what they love most. She offers individual and group coaching for victims and survivors of narcissistic abuse at NarcissisticAbuseRecovery.Online and NarcissismSupportCoach.com.