“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” ~Eckhart Tolle
Have you been feeling a little puny lately? Maybe you’re getting all sorts of colds or you can’t seem to stop getting those chin pimples.
Or maybe it’s something in your head making you feel bad.
I’ve got great news for you – the answer to your health problems could be as simple as feeling thankful more often.
No seriously! Did you know that gratitude can have a tremendous impact on your health? A recent study entitled The Role of Gratitude in Spiritual Well-Being in Asymptomatic Heart Failure Patients found that it plays an important part in overall well-being.
Do you understand what that means??
The study found that being thankful helped improve the health of heart disease patients.
Even better, according to researchers, this discovery has much wider implications, and they say it can help anyone.
So, you don’t have to be a heart disease patient to benefit from showing gratitude to others. Anyone can be thankful and see improvements in their health.
Try these strategies to use gratitude to benefit your health:
Understand what it feels like to be grateful and do it often.
Being thankful is an important part of staying healthy.
- Do you show your gratitude when it matters?
- Do the people in your life feel you appreciate them? Have you told them how much you enjoy the things they do?
- Being grateful may require a conscious effort. It’s important to start noticing your thought processes and how you react to various situations.
How to show gratitude to your loved ones
The people who are closest to you need to know you appreciate them.
- You can begin to show gratitude by thanking them for a specific action.
- You can also show your thoughtfulness by doing small things for them and making their lives easier.
- Sharing your time is important. Offer to do something your loved ones may enjoy. This will show you care and pay attention to their lives. It also shows you want to help.
- Everyone loves compliments, so give them out frequently with love.
How to show gratitude to your coworkers
They spend hours with you and need to know you appreciate them.
- Send thank you notes to your coworkers to show them you care.
- Show your gratitude by bringing them lunch or offering to buy it for them.
- Sometimes just listening to your coworkers can be a good way to show your gratitude.
- Bring flowers to work to brighten your coworkers’ day.
How to show gratitude to strangers
You may not know their name or life story, but the strangers you meet throughout the day can also benefit from gratitude.
- Does the person who makes your coffee stand next to a tip jar? You can make a generous tip and help brighten their day. You can also point out something they have done well.
- You don’t have to know your servers’ names to be grateful. You can thank them, compliment them, and share something positive.
How to show gratitude for yourself
Last but certainly not least, you’ve got to think about yourself too! Take a minute and notice the wonderful things that are happening in your life and be thankful for them each day.
- Sometimes making a simple list of all the positive and good things in your life can start you on the path to gratitude.
- Remember to give yourself compliments, too, ya hottie. 😉
- Thinking about the positive things you have done for others can help you see how you impact the world.
Gratitude is an important part of life, and showing it to others can help strengthen your health. It’s crucial to note the positive things occurring every day. There are many ways to be thankful, so you can share the joy with others.
“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” ~Sophia Loren
The lovely Ms. Loren put it quite eloquently, if you ask me. But if you wanted to tap into a fountain of youth on the physical side, how can you maintain a young appearance without going under the knife?
Here are six things you can do to look younger instantly.
* Smile more. Confidence is sexy and sexy is youthful. Whiten your teeth, or get veneers if necessary. Whiter teeth will make you look younger. Once you have the gorgeous smile you’ve always wanted, put it to good use and you’ll get more attention than you did 10 years ago.
* Minimize your makeup. You might think that heavy foundation will cover your wrinkles, but it does just the opposite. Caking it on causes the makeup to settle into wrinkles and exaggerate them. The same is true for eye shadow. A smart rule of thumb: less is more.
* Save yourself from the sun. Those UV rays are our enemy when it comes to aging. Always use a moisturizer with SPF 15 or above. Look for skin creams containing antioxidants like vitamin C and E for increased protection.
* Sleep. They don’t call it “beauty sleep” for nothing. If you don’t get enough sleep (about seven hours every night), your metabolism and hormone production can be hindered, inviting the early effects of age.
* Improve your posture. Taking calcium will help prevent osteoporosis, but a slumping stoop will age you immediately. Strengthen your core – those abdominal muscles – for a straighter back and taller body. Pilates is a perfect way to improve your posture, giving you a longer, leaner look.
* Evaluate your wardrobe. Dressing younger doesn’t have to mean super low-rise jeans and belly shirts. A casual, yet tailored look will keep you from appearing fussy and out-of-style. A great T-shirt with well-fitting pants and great accessories creates a comfortable, yet hip everyday “uniform” for a casual dresser.
“So I said to the gym instructor: ‘Can you teach me to do the splits?’ He said: ‘How flexible are you?’ I said: I can’t make Tuesdays.'” ~Tim Vine
Your Fit Mission: Extend Your Range of Motion in One Month or Less
Your range of motion refers to how far you can move a joint in any direction.
Increasing your flexibility strengthens your joints, reduces your risk of injury, and enhances your balance.
Stick with us for 10 minutes, and learn how to extend your range of motion quickly and effectively.
Developing a Stretching Routine
Stretching exercises increase your flexibility by working your muscles and tendons, the elastic tissue that connects muscles to bones. Some studies suggest that stretching may also increase your muscle mass and endurance.
1. Warm up. Stretching warm muscles is safer and easier. Do most of your stretching at the end of your workout. If you like to stretch in advance, walk around for a few minutes first.
2. Proceed gradually. Gentle stretching yields faster results than pushing yourself too hard. When you force a stretch, you create scar tissue in your body that limits your mobility. Skip any exercise that causes sudden discomfort. Talk with your doctor if you have any concerns.
3. Vary your approach. Your body needs time to adapt to unfamiliar movements. In some sessions, you may want to hold a stretch for a few minutes or more. Other times, you might repeat a cycle of brief stretches several times. It also helps to learn a wide assortment of exercises that you can draw from on different days.
4. Take your time. When you hold a stretch for a minute or more, you will often notice that your body eventually relaxes into the position. Take advantage of that opportunity to extend a little further.
5. Even things out. It’s common for one side of your body to be more limber than the other. You may also be relatively loose in the shoulders but tight in the legs. Use your routine to correct imbalances.
6. Open your hips. Stiff hips are a trouble spot for many people. Try sitting in cobbler pose. Sit on the floor with the soles of your feet pressed together and lower your knees as far as possible.
7. Loosen up your back. Stretching eases back pain. Sit on the edge of a chair and bend forward. Take turns arching and rounding your back.
Enhancing Your Posture
Your habitual posture also affects your range of motion. Slouching around tends to shorten your tendons and round your shoulders while standing tall can help keep you supple. Rely on exercises and food choices that build up your bones and core muscles.
1. Perform floor exercises. Many stretches can be done while you’re watching TV or staying in a hotel room. How about doing a few squats or lunges?
2. Lift weights. Weight training increases your bone and muscle mass. It’s an ideal way to slow down the bone loss that comes with aging.
3. Take a walk. Carrying your body weight also helps. Buy a pedometer so you can track and increase the number of steps you take each day.
4. Sit less. You’ve probably seen studies about how sitting can interfere with your mental and physical health. Spend more time on your feet. Try out a standing desk or take breaks every half hour at work to stretch and stroll around. When you sit at your desk, hold your back straight and adjust your chair so that your knees and elbows are at right angles.
5. Eat nourishing foods. Calcium and Vitamin D are nutrients essential for strong bones. Low or no fat dairy products supply calcium, while many foods like breakfast cereals are enriched with Vitamin D.
Win more tennis games or just go about your daily tasks with greater comfort and fewer injuries by extending your range of motion. Releasing muscle tension helps you to look better and age more gracefully.
Want to have a very sexy summer? Check out The Smart Girl’s Guide to a Very Sexy Summer: 227 Super-Simple, Super-Sexy Summer Slimdown Strategies.
Let’s not make this all about losing weight, but let’s be realistic and enjoy the fact that improved posture means weight loss for many reasons.
Your weight shouldn’t define you, so just take that as a side benefit. Your posture is the thing that really counts.
It can make you look and feel better as well as reducing the risk of serious health conditions. And the best part is that your posture is one of the easiest things to work on.
If you had a grandmother like mine, you had many lessons and comments concerning how you should be sitting up straight.
My grandmother spent the last few years of her life in a hospital bed because of her problems with her back. I have scoliosis and (obviously) a family history of back problems.
However, when I was a kid I thought that good posture was as senseless as anything else.
My grandmother had a valid point though. As women age, even the ones who never had back problems need to start worrying about things like osteoporosis. Exercise, a healthy diet, and some focus on posture can lead to better health in general.
So, what’s the best way to enhance your posture? The best way is to not focus on your posture at all, but to focus on your core.
That’s right, we aren’t going to be taping any yardsticks to your head, but you would be doing yourself a huge favor if you invested in a stability ball. It’s really the only tool you need to improve your posture.
As you sit on a stability ball with both of your feet on the ground, you have no choice but to stabilize your core.
This means you sit up straight and use your back muscles as well as your abdomen muscles to keep your core steady.
You will also be using your legs to keep the ball steady.
Make sure to keep your feet flat on the floor and don’t let any one part of you touch another part of you. For example, don’t put your elbows on your knees. And yes, the stability ball can be lots of fun to play with too.
Your core is where it all starts. When you hunch over, you restrict the blood flow to your vital organs as you put pressure on them.
If you happen to be overweight already, you are already making your heart work harder than it should without hunching over. When you hunch over, you just about double the effort your heart has to put forth. Use the stability ball in place of your desk chair or favorite lounge chair. You will breathe easier, feel better, and enjoy a whole new posture. As a result, your body language will attract more people to you.
If you like the fact that this very low impact method is so effective, try planking next. You’ll be amazed at the results!
For both your mental and physical health, it’s important to spend some “me” time pampering and relaxing yourself. These days, there are plenty of different relaxation options available as well as several ways to relieve stress, enjoy and rejuvenate your senses and body.
A great way to experience a heaven-like, self-indulgent beauty treatment is at a day spa or a beauty salon. Beauty professionals use 100% natural and pure oils extracted from plants and herbs, known as essential oils, to cure, heal, and energize your body.
Need for Essential Oils
A good body massage at the hands of an experienced masseur is not just physically rewarding but also emotionally advantageous to your body. Massage and body massage oils are perfect for pampering and relieving the stress and tension of your body and mind.
Essential oil blends are the traditional and age-old cures to enhance the feeling of being healthy, vitalized, as well as spread a general sense of positivity and goodwill. Essential massage oils, when used for massages, not only moisturize the skin, but also ease muscle tension and help you de-stress and relax.
Essential oils such as Orange, Lemon, and others are full of rich minerals and vitamins. There composition is such that they can be absorbed by the skin with ease and offer deep-tissue treatments for the body. You can use aromatherapy essential oils as home spa oils as well. These oils are perfect for use as bath oils and after bath moisturizing.
History of Essential Oils
History of essential oils is as unique and interesting as the oils themselves. Used by the early civilizations such as Indians, Chinese, Egyptians, and Babylonians essential oils have also been mentioned in the Bible.
The ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and some Chinese manuscripts have records of physicians and priests using oils extracted from plans to make some of the earliest known medicines. These oils were also used for protection against diseases and for curing wounds and ache as well as during religious ceremonies, embalming the dead, and as perfumes!
Several royalties such as Cleopatra was fully aware of the power of essential oils and would use them to attract men towards her. She also used them for a glowing, supple skin and thick, dark, lustrous hair.
Extraction of Essential Oils
All-natural and pure essential oils are aromatic or fragrant extracts of trees, flowers, herbs, spices, bark, fruits, seeds, and fibers by the process of distillation, or solvent extraction.
Since essential oils are essential to the plants’ growth process and to the substances that give them their special fragrance, they are also known as “life force.” There are more than 150 different types of essential oils that are used in aromatherapy.
Some of the essential oils are more expensive than others. This could be due to the rarity of the sources or the complexity of the extraction process. Emu Oil, extracted from Emu bird is very expensive but excellent for the skin, wrinkles, and overall beauty. On the other hand, orange, lemon, sage, rosemary, patchouli, and others are fairly inexpensive and easily available in the supermarkets.
Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils are wonderful for us. Not only because they are completely natural and don’t have any side effects but also because they give us more than physical relief. If you use essential oils on a regular basis, your will feel healthier, fitter, mentally stronger, psychologically more in control, besides having a higher immunity level against common illnesses such as colds, fevers, allergies etc.
Different essential oils offer different benefits. Some may offer unique healing, antiseptic properties while others may offer anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, expectorating, and diuretic properties. You must seek a aroma therapist before buying an essential oil for treating a serious ailment.
However, you may use the more common essential oils such as Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tea-tree, Ylang Ylang for relaxation and enjoyment as well.
Some Essential Oils for Health and Beauty
We thought with all this talk about essential oils, you might be interested in knowing which ones you can buy without having to peel through layers of research for spending money on consulting a professional. And remember, each of these essential beauty oils have their own healing properties that offer your skin a rosy and healthy glow. So here goes:
1. Sunflower Oil – Grown by American Indians for 1000s of years, this oil is extracted from sunflower seeds and is rich in minerals and in Vitamins A, and E.
2. Olive Oil– One of the most cherished, valuable, and powerful multi-use beauty/health oil, it has also been called “liquid gold” do to its miraculous powers for improving the texture and appearance of your skin. Olive oil leaves your skin feeling soft and your complexion glowing due to the high mineral content, Vitamin E, and vital fatty acids!
3. Jojoba Oil – Obtained from the seeds of the desert plant Jojoba, the oil is light and waxy. Excessively being used as a humectant, Jojoba oil creates a protective layer on the surface of your skin to lock the moisture in so that your skin stay hydrated and soft even in winter!
Essential oils are a perfect way to look beautiful and stay healthy for longer, don’t you think? They’re also among the longest-held beauty solutions.
Sometimes negativity and toxic environments can weigh you down so much that you have to do a complete cleanse to shake them off. Meditation, positive thinking, eating for health, and mantras are all helpful on a daily basis, but may not be enough. Even when you try to avoid toxic elements you may end up dealing with them in the work place or even with your family. A deep cleanse can help you shake off this toxic energy overall, leaving you looking and feeling your best.
A cleansing juice or smoothie can go a long way toward removing the toxins you have put into your body through the week. Add energy boosting foods like ginger and carrots if you feel like you need a boost as well as a cleanse. Below are some of the best foods to use in a juice or smoothie to cleanse the body.
- Celery Seeds
- Yogurt with live active yeast cultures
An internal cleanse will help you remove the toxins you have ingested, but your mind and body may still feel weighed down by some of the negative energies you have absorbed over the course of the week. A cleansing bath followed by meditation can help you get back on track and focus on your positive and healing energies.
Take a Cleansing Bath
When we talk about a “cleansing bath”, it’s about more than just washing the dust off for the day. You’re going to focus on your mental and emotional energy as well. Sage and salt are you go-to items for this remedy. They don’t just work well for a bath cleanse either. You can use them to free your home from negative energies as well. You can learn the specifics of different kinds of cleansing baths by reading this article about various cleansing baths, but the basics are below.
Light up some sage, in some form. Even rubbed sage sprinkled on a tea light candle is better than nothing. Sprinkle salt in your bath tub. Sea salt is best. Run a hot bath. Soak in the bath and wash yourself with the water in the tub, working from head to toe. As you wash, imagine the negative energies from the day being washed from you. After the bath, run the shower and picture yourself rejuvenated by the fresh water as the tainted water runs down the drain.
Follow this up with an inspiring meditation. In the coming week, try to avoid negative people and energies in order to sustain a happy, healthy demeanor.