Artificial nails are the perfect solution for many women, especially those who want a manicured look 24/7.
Plus, they are a perfect solution for replacing a broken nail. They are great as a temporary fix until your own nails grow out. And they are there – instantly.
Even better, you don’t need to get an expensive salon manicure to get the look if you’re on a budget.
Many artificial nails on the market these days have a DIY factor and can be applied yourself at home.
If you select the right size and do something creative to eliminate the plastic look, they can appear entirely natural and convincing.
Gel and acrylic nails can be applied professionally in the salon, or you can apply the press-on styles at home using widely-available nail enhancement kits. They come with their own adhesive and are easily cut and shaped to the style you want.
And lately I’ve seen plenty of at-home acrylics and gel nail kits too.
Easy DIY Plan for At-Home Manicure with Artificial Nails
So, assuming you want to fit the nails yourself, how do you get started? Here are the six simple stages:
1. First, clean and dry your own natural nails. Then file and shape them in preparation for attaching the artificial nails.
2. Then – very important – choose the right size artificial nail for each finger. File the edges if necessary to get an exact fit.
3. Now spread a thin layer of nail adhesive over the whole area of your natural nail that will be in contact with the artificial nail.
4. Position the artificial nail such that it is very close to, but not touching, the cuticle. Then apply a light pressure to the top for a short time to allow the glue to take hold and set.
5. Once the nail is set firmly in position, file off any rough edges.
6. Apply two coats of nail varnish of the color you require, then finish off with a layer of topcoat to seal it.
It’s recommended that you don’t wear artificial nails for more than a few weeks at a time – say a month maximum. Then remove them and give your natural nails a chance to breathe and refresh their growth.
It’s also important that you always use proper nail adhesive and never just ordinary glue you might find around the house.
To remove artificial nails, soak them in a non-acetone polish remover until they start to dissolve and come away.
“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” ~Sophia Loren
The lovely Ms. Loren put it quite eloquently, if you ask me. But if you wanted to tap into a fountain of youth on the physical side, how can you maintain a young appearance without going under the knife?
Here are six things you can do to look younger instantly.
* Smile more. Confidence is sexy and sexy is youthful. Whiten your teeth, or get veneers if necessary. Whiter teeth will make you look younger. Once you have the gorgeous smile you’ve always wanted, put it to good use and you’ll get more attention than you did 10 years ago.
* Minimize your makeup. You might think that heavy foundation will cover your wrinkles, but it does just the opposite. Caking it on causes the makeup to settle into wrinkles and exaggerate them. The same is true for eye shadow. A smart rule of thumb: less is more.
* Save yourself from the sun. Those UV rays are our enemy when it comes to aging. Always use a moisturizer with SPF 15 or above. Look for skin creams containing antioxidants like vitamin C and E for increased protection.
* Sleep. They don’t call it “beauty sleep” for nothing. If you don’t get enough sleep (about seven hours every night), your metabolism and hormone production can be hindered, inviting the early effects of age.
* Improve your posture. Taking calcium will help prevent osteoporosis, but a slumping stoop will age you immediately. Strengthen your core – those abdominal muscles – for a straighter back and taller body. Pilates is a perfect way to improve your posture, giving you a longer, leaner look.
* Evaluate your wardrobe. Dressing younger doesn’t have to mean super low-rise jeans and belly shirts. A casual, yet tailored look will keep you from appearing fussy and out-of-style. A great T-shirt with well-fitting pants and great accessories creates a comfortable, yet hip everyday “uniform” for a casual dresser.
What really makes some of the world’s most beautiful women look, er, beautiful? We rummaged though their make-up bags to bring you the definitive list of products that you can snap up online. From hand creams and miracle hair treatments to lip balms to bronzers, here we give you the latest celebrity beauty secrets.
For both your mental and physical health, it’s important to spend some “me” time pampering and relaxing yourself. These days, there are plenty of different relaxation options available as well as several ways to relieve stress, enjoy and rejuvenate your senses and body.
A great way to experience a heaven-like, self-indulgent beauty treatment is at a day spa or a beauty salon. Beauty professionals use 100% natural and pure oils extracted from plants and herbs, known as essential oils, to cure, heal, and energize your body.
Need for Essential Oils
A good body massage at the hands of an experienced masseur is not just physically rewarding but also emotionally advantageous to your body. Massage and body massage oils are perfect for pampering and relieving the stress and tension of your body and mind.
Essential oil blends are the traditional and age-old cures to enhance the feeling of being healthy, vitalized, as well as spread a general sense of positivity and goodwill. Essential massage oils, when used for massages, not only moisturize the skin, but also ease muscle tension and help you de-stress and relax.
Essential oils such as Orange, Lemon, and others are full of rich minerals and vitamins. Their composition is such that they can be absorbed by the skin with ease and offer deep-tissue treatments for the body. You can use aromatherapy essential oils as home spa oils as well. These oils are perfect for use as bath oils and after bath moisturizing.
History of Essential Oils
The history of essential oils is as unique and interesting as the oils themselves. Used by early civilizations such as Indians, Chinese, Egyptians, and Babylonians essential oils have also been mentioned in the Bible.
The ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and some Chinese manuscripts have records of physicians and priests using oils extracted from plans to make some of the earliest known medicines. These oils were also used for protection against diseases and for curing wounds and ache as well as during religious ceremonies, embalming the dead, and as perfumes!
Several royalties such as Cleopatra was fully aware of the power of essential oils and would use them to attract men towards her. She also used them for glowing, supple skin and thick, dark, lustrous hair.
Extraction of Essential Oils
All-natural and pure essential oils are aromatic or fragrant extracts of trees, flowers, herbs, spices, bark, fruits, seeds, and fibers by the process of distillation, or solvent extraction.
Since essential oils are essential to the plants’ growth process and to the substances that give them their special fragrance, they are also known as “life force.” There are more than 150 different types of essential oils that are used in aromatherapy.
Some of the essential oils are more expensive than others. This could be due to the rarity of the sources or the complexity of the extraction process. Emu Oil, extracted from Emu bird is very expensive but excellent for the skin, wrinkles, and overall beauty. On the other hand, orange, lemon, sage, rosemary, patchouli, and others are fairly inexpensive and easily available in the supermarkets.
Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils are wonderful for us. Not only because they are completely natural and don’t have any side effects but also because they give us more than physical relief. If you use essential oils on a regular basis, you will feel healthier, fitter, mentally stronger, psychologically more in control, besides having a higher immunity level against common illnesses such as colds, fevers, allergies etc.
Different essential oils offer different benefits. Some may offer unique healing, antiseptic properties while others may offer anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, expectorating, and diuretic properties. You must seek an aromatherapist before buying an essential oil for treating a serious ailment.
Some Essential Oils for Health and Beauty
We thought with all this talk about essential oils, you might be interested in knowing which ones you can buy without having to peel through layers of research for spending money on consulting a professional. And remember, each of these essential beauty oils have their own healing properties that offer your skin a rosy and healthy glow. So here goes:
1. Sunflower Oil – Grown by American Indians for 1000s of years, this oil is extracted from sunflower seeds and is rich in minerals and in Vitamins A, and E.
2. Olive Oil– One of the most cherished, valuable, and powerful multi-use beauty/health oil, it has also been called “liquid gold” due to its miraculous powers for improving the texture and appearance of your skin. Olive oil leaves your skin feeling soft and your complexion glowing due to the high mineral content, Vitamin E, and vital fatty acids!
3. Jojoba Oil – Obtained from the seeds of the desert plant Jojoba, the oil is light and waxy. Excessively being used as a humectant, Jojoba oil creates a protective layer on the surface of your skin to lock the moisture in so that your skin stays hydrated and soft even in winter!
Essential oils are a perfect way to look beautiful and stay healthy for longer, don’t you think? They’re also among the longest-held beauty solutions.