Conscious breathing is an important method for maintaining your well-being. Luckily, anyone can learn the technique and use it on a regular basis to strengthen both mental and physical health. It’s easy!
So how do you do it? Well, let me teach you a bit more about this powerful health strategy.
1. What is conscious breathing? Conscious breathing is becoming aware of the way you take in oxygen and release carbon dioxide from your body.
- It’s possible to use this technique during your normal activities.
- There are different types of conscious breathing methods, but they all have similar aspects.
2. Enjoy these mental benefits of conscious breathing:
- Conscious breathing can decrease stress and give you inner peace. It can help you focus during difficult moments.
- It can reduce fear, worry, and anxiety. It can help you deal with daily conflicts and issues.
- Conscious breathing can help your mind by giving it enough oxygen to focus and strengthen your concentration. It can have a positive impact on memory and test results such as exams in school.
3. See its impact on your body. Conscious breathing makes a positive impact on your overall health:
- Practicing conscious breathing on a regular basis can strengthen lung function and reduce asthma. It may not be able to reverse all damage or issues, but it can make a difference.
- Conscious breathing can also positively affect the cardiovascular system. Your body needs a constant flow of oxygen to function properly. By getting more oxygen, circulation and blood flow improves.
- Conscious breathing forces you to breathe through your nose. Breathing through the nose is healthier. It can make your mouth less dry. A dry mouth can cause tooth decay and affect the overall health of the tongue.
- You might even reduce or eliminate snoring because, when you snore, you’re breathing through your open mouth. Even your relationships may improve with a decrease in snoring!
- Conscious breathing can enhance your sleep and give you energy.
- Conscious breathing can also affect your weight. Deep breathing can reduce snoring, which can affect the hunger hormones. When you snore, you don’t get enough rest, so the hunger hormones increase and cause weight gain.
4. How to practice conscious breathing: Conscious breathing requires you to focus on how you breathe. It makes you think about the process and regulate it. Conscious breathing forces you to live in the moment and enjoy it.
- You can become more aware of the process by putting your hand on your stomach. Relax and breathe in deeply through your nose. As you breathe in, your abdomen will rise. Then, pause and exhale gently. You can feel your abdomen go back down as you exhale.
- You can even practice conscious breathing using various rhythms and patterns.
- Try conscious breathing in a quiet room or area. Avoid interruptions from phones or other devices.
- Combining meditation with conscious breathing makes the technique even more effective.
Conscious breathing is a teachable process that is easy to learn. It can have a positive influence on many aspects of your life.
Angela Atkinson is a Certified Life Coach and the author of more than 20 books on narcissism, narcissistic abuse recovery and related topics. A recognized expert on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder who has studied and written extensively on narcissistic relationships since 2006, Atkinson was inspired to begin her work as a result of having survived toxic relationships of her own.
Atkinson offers trauma-informed coaching and has certifications in life coaching, level 2 therapeutic model, CBT coaching, integrative wellness coaching, and NLP. She is a certified trauma support coach and certified family trauma professional. She also has a professional PTSD counseling certification. Her mission is to help those who have experienced the emotional and mental devastation that comes with narcissistic abuse in these incredibly toxic relationships to (re)discover their true selves, stop the gaslighting and manipulation and move forward into their genuine desires – into a life that is exactly what they choose for themselves.
Along with her solution-focused life coaching experience, Atkinson’s previous career in journalism and research helps her to offer both accurate and understandable information for survivors of abuse in a simple-to-understand way that helps to increase awareness in the narcissistic abuse recovery community. Atkinson founded QueenBeeing.com Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support, the SPANily Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support Groups and the Life Makeover Academy. In her life coaching practice, Atkinson’s clients enjoy her personalized approach that allows and encourages them to become the best possible versions of themselves and to succeed in doing what they love most. She offers individual and group coaching for victims and survivors of narcissistic abuse at NarcissisticAbuseRecovery.Online and NarcissismSupportCoach.com.