How many times has it happened to you? You love someone who you think loves you back. But when that person is a narcissist, all bets for a happy and emotionally safe relationship are off. So what is it that causes the narcissist to dump on you emotionally? Why are narcissists so mean to you when they’re stressed or upset about something OUTSIDE of you?
Why does the narcissist emotionally dump on you?
Are you tired of getting emotionally dumped on by a narcissist? When a narcissist is stressed about anything in their life, they take it out on their primary source of narcissistic supply – and most likely, if you’re here, watching this video, you’re it, my friend. As you might know, narcissists are secretly incredibly insecure – and that’s why they tend to “pass the hot potato” when they feel like they can’t handle their emotions.
Narcissists tend to dump their emotional garbage on you to relieve themselves of their pain and suffering.
Often when this has happened, the narcissist suddenly feels better and finds themselves feeling great – meanwhile, having served as an emotional dumpster takes its toll on you – the victim and primary source of narcissistic supply.
How does the narcissist’s emotional dumping affect you?
Life with a narcissist is already stressful, right? But when they start using you as a proverbial “emotional dumpster,” things feel so much more desperate. Not only do they use you as a way to relieve their stress and struggles, but it seems like they want to hurt you sometimes. And they do.
Worse, they can be so cruel that they cause you to live in fear, anxiety, and depression. There is no level to which the narcissist will not stoop to hurt you.
This is why they go so far as to seek out precisely the “right” buttons to push; that part of you that has been left scarred. You know – those most painful triggers that make you lose it, thanks to the most agonizing traumas in your life – before and during the relationship. As a rule – the more serious your injuries from life have been – the greater your chances are of being targeted by the narcissist.
Start Getting Help with Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Today
Online help is readily available for survivors of narcissistic abuse. Here are some options to begin healing from narcissistic abuse right away.
- Sign up for our free email newsletter service that includes a free guided recovery experience via your inbox.
- Start your narcissistic abuse recovery here with our free narcissistic abuse recovery support system and program.
- Think you might have C-PTSD, but you’re not sure? Then, take our free C-PTSD Self-Assessment.
- Join one of our free online narcissistic abuse recovery support groups!
- Join one of our private small coaching groups!
- Get private, one-on-one narcissistic abuse recovery coaching or counseling.
- Get a therapist who will work with you online. Check out our guide to finding a therapist or psychologist who understands narcissism and narcissistic abuse.
More Resources for Dealing with Being Used as a Narcissist’s Emotional Dumpster
- When a Narcissist Has a Bad Day: Why You Always Get the Brunt of It
- Narcissists and Public Humiliation: How & Why Narcs Shame You Publicly
- Take the Narcissistic Personality Inventory Test Here
- Narcissists and Blame Shifting: Are you a built-in scapegoat?
- What Happens When You Reject or Ignore a Narcissist | QueenBeeing
- Why It’s So Hard to Get Over a Narcissist (And 4 Ways to Start Healing)