Each and every one of us could come up with a negative thing or two about the area we call home, but what about the positives? As we strive for fulfillment, being at peace with our homes and the surrounding area is so important. Without this little piece of the puzzle, we cannot move forward in our journey.
One of my favorite blogs to read is Joanna Vaughan’s Cape Cod Photo Blog, because in this blog, Joanna presents vivid pictures of the beautiful area in which she lives. I have to admit, I’m always a bit jealous when I look at her amazing photos and read about her area, but her blog has inspired me to look around my own area. I live in the St. Louis area, and grew up in this vicinity. So, today, in an effort to inspire you to learn to love your city, I’ve decided to list the top ten reasons I love living in St. Louis! Here they are, in no particular order!
1. Considering our current economy, St. Louis offers a lower cost of living than most metropolitan areas. That, in itself, is one great reason to love this area!!
2. St. Louis has a small town feel, but still offers big city cultural opportunities. We have a number of museums, theaters, educational opportunities like the Science Center and Magic House, Forest Park and all of its’ amenities, the Municipal Opera, and much more.
4. The Sports. Ok, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a sports fan, but it’s almost impossible not to care a little bit in St. Louis. Our fans are the best in the world, and apparently so are our teams! Go Rams, Go Cards, Go Blues!!
5. The Stuff to Do Outside. St. Louis offers hundreds of parks, more than 100 golf courses, and more than two hundred miles of walking, biking, hiking, and exploratory trails. And let’s not forget about Six Flags!
6. The St. Louis Zoo. It’s one of the nation’s best zoos, and one of the few left that offers free admission. While you may spend a few bucks for certain exhibits, it’s well worth it. The kids love to go to the Zoo, and it can be done for next to nothing. What more could a parent ask for?
7. No stamp-outs here. There are so many different neighborhoods in the greater St. Louis area, everything from farming communities to artsy areas, to the super ultra urban spots. You want variety, you’ve got it here!
8. Sense of community. Since I grew up in a small town on the other side of the river, I like for people to know my name when I’m out and about. I shop in the same places most of the time, have my nails done in the same salon, and do most of my business in the same few places. I find that people know me and my kids, and that makes me feel good. So, St. Louis offers me the contrasting benefits of a great sense of community, as well as the amenities of a bigger city. Can’t complain about that!
9. The Arch. This is probably the most recognizable feature of St. Louis. It’s got a cool creation story and if you’re brave enough to ride the little tram to the top, the view is positively amazing! This pic to the right gives you a little taste of what to expect when you take that trip!
10. The River. The St. Louis Riverfront (situated on the Mississippi) is a great place for a night out with your sweetie or even a day trip with the kids. There are bars, nightclubs, casinos, and more, plus family friendly restaurants and activities to enjoy.
That said, I challenge you today to find a few good things about your city or neighborhood! What do you love about your location?