When you’ve experienced narcissistic abuse, it can follow you around in your life, even after you’ve left the situation – and that can seriously damage your quality of life, to say the least. In this video, I’ll offer you a quick overview on what you need to do to write, acknowledge and release your abuse story – plus, I’ll offer tips on how to start dreaming up your new one.
Here’s the 10-Sheets Method Mentioned in the Video:
- Take 10 sheets of paper and on the first one, write “my abuse story” and add a byline.
- Then number the second page 1 through 8.
- In each spot, write down a major point in your abuse story.
- For example, #1 might be the years leading to the abuse, if you think you’ve got some background that contributed to your current situation.
- Or it might be meeting the narcissist. The next point might be the “honeymoon phase,” maybe, and then you might go forward with something like the first time you started to see a problem.
- Maybe the red flags started early, but you didn’t notice – or maybe it just came on suddenly and shocked you. Either way, write down those points.
- Then, on each of the following pages, number the top to correspond with the points in your “table of contents: page.
- On each page, write down three questions or statements about the time in your life that you’re covering – and when you’re done, you’ll have a good outline for your abuse story.
- Read it back to yourself and allow yourself to feel the feelings one last time – because after today, you’re going to move forward. So cry if you need to. Scream. Yell. Have regrets – go ahead. But LIMIT yourself – give yourself a specific amount of time to get through this part. I usually like to do 24 hours – but you might choose to go up to 7 days, if you need it. Don’t do more than seven days though – anything else is counterproductive for you.
Links Mentioned in the Video Include:
Rewrite Your Story Udemy Course (this link has a 50% discount attached): https://www.udemy.com/rewrite-your-story-after-narcissistic-abuse-in-relationships/?couponCode=qb
Angela Atkinson is a certified trauma counselor and the author of more than 20 books on narcissism, narcissistic abuse recovery, and related topics. A recognized expert on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder who has studied and written extensively on narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic abuse in toxic relationships since 2006, she has a popular narcissistic abuse recovery YouTube channel. Atkinson was inspired to begin her work as a result of having survived toxic relationships of her own.
Atkinson offers trauma-informed narcissistic abuse recovery coaching and has certifications in trauma counseling, life coaching, level 2 therapeutic model, CBT coaching, integrative wellness coaching, and NLP. She is a certified trauma support coach and certified family trauma professional. She also has a professional PTSD counseling certification. Her mission is to help those who have experienced the emotional and mental devastation that comes with narcissistic abuse in these incredibly toxic relationships to (re)discover their true selves, stop the gaslighting and manipulation, and move forward into their genuine desires – into a life that is exactly what they choose for themselves.
Along with her solution-focused life coaching experience, Atkinson’s previous career in journalism and research helps her to offer both accurate and understandable information for survivors of abuse in a simple-to-understand way that helps to increase awareness in the narcissistic abuse recovery community. Atkinson founded QueenBeeing.com Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support, the SPANily Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support Groups and the Life Makeover Academy.
She offers individual and group coaching for victims and survivors of narcissistic abuse here at QueenBeeing.com and at NarcissisticAbuseRecovery.Online.