September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
ITAPD Information from the Source:
International Talk Like A Pirate Day is a parody holiday annually held on September 19. Celebrated for the first time in 1995, the fun holiday encourages people to talk and dress like the sea plunderers of yesteryears.
John Baur (“Ol’ Chumbucket”) and Mark Summers (“Cap’n Slappy”) are created this holiday on June 6, 1995. Out of respect World War II’s D-Day, Baur and Summers choose to move the date of the holiday to September 19.
International Talk Like A Pirate Day was a low-key event until 2002 when it received media attention via syndicated humor columnistDave Barry. Today, it is celebrated around the world as a way to raise funds for charity organizations, such as Childhood Cancer Support and Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Happy birthday to Jimmy Fallon, ‘Batman’ Adam West and Alison Sweeny!
Interesting Sept. 19 History Facts from FamousDaily.com
More Sept. 19 Holidays (Via WikiPedia)
- Armed Forces Day (Chile)
- Christian feast day:
- Day of the First Public Appearance of the Slovak National Council
- Second day of Fiestas Patrias (Chile)
- Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Saint Kitts and Nevis from the United Kingdom in 1983.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
From National Date Calendar
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day
- Talk Like A Pirate Day
- National Gymnastics Day
- Big Whopper Liar Day – Third Saturday in September
- Boys’ and Girls’ Club Day for Kids – Third Saturday in September
- Puppy Mill Awareness Day – Third Saturday in September
- Responsible Dog Ownership Day – Third Saturday in September
- International Eat An Apple Day – Third Saturday in September
- International Coastal Cleanup Day – Third Saturday in September