Do you know someone who presents as a shy or introverted person, but who is actually a narcissist? You might be dealing with a covert narcissist. Covert narcissists are those who will often use the “poor me” act – also known as narcissistic injury – as one of their primary ways of manipulating their victims.
What is a covert narcissist?
A covert narcissist is someone who demonstrates a very subtle, but equally toxic form of narcissism that is exhibited by someone with a more introverted personality. Covert narcissism is characterized by grandiose fantasies and thoughts, perception of entitlement, and a general sentiment of being better than others – but unlike grandiose narcissism, those affected by covert narcissism can seem shy and introverted. They may also be self-loathing in a more obvious way than other narcissists. These qualities make it more difficult to identify a covert narcissist.
Do you think you know a covert narcissist? Take our covert narcissism assessment and find out,
Covert Narcissist or Introvert?
I’ll offer you a look inside the head of a covert narcissist that might even make you feel a little sorry for him/her – but it’s the truth. The untrained eye might see this kind of narcissist as a pushover or a sweet shy person, but in reality, they’re the hardest kind of narcissist to sniff out – the covert kind. I’ll not only share personal experiences, but I’ll give you the nuts and bolts on how a covert narcissist works and on how to identify one. In this video, I’ll give you the 411 on how to identify a covert narcissist and what to watch for when dealing with one.
You might also want to read my book, Take Back Your Life.
Start Getting Help with Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Today
Did you know? Online help is readily available for survivors of narcissistic abuse. Here are some options to begin healing from narcissistic abuse right away.
- Sign up for our free email newsletter service that includes a free guided recovery experience via your inbox.
- Start your narcissistic abuse recovery here with our free narcissistic abuse recovery support system and program.
- Think you might have C-PTSD but you’re not sure? Take our free C-PTSD Self-Assessment.
- Join one of our free online narcissistic abuse recovery support groups!
- Join one of our private small coaching groups!
- Get private, one-on-one narcissistic abuse recovery coaching or counseling.
- Get a therapist who will work with you online. Check out our guide to finding a therapist or psychologist who understands narcissism and narcissistic abuse.
Helpful Articles You Might Also Like to Read
- 5 Traits of a Covert Narcissist
- What is a covert narcissist?
- The Fate of Aging Covert Narcissists
- Covert Narcissists – 5 Helpful Books for Dealing with Them
- Toxic Abuse in Relationships: Inside the Narcissist’s Devalue and Discard Phases
- Take Back Your Life: How to Control a Narcissist
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: Overcoming Inferiority and Taking Back Your Power (Video)
- Stop Living in Fear: Free eCourse for Narcissistic Abuse Survivors
- A Toxic Relationship Survival Guide for Victims of Narcissistic Abuse
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: Should you warn the new ‘supply’ about the narcissist?
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: Get Out of the Fog with Mindfulness
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: Find the Light at the End of the Tunnel and Be Brave