Nail Tech Talk: For Perfect Nails Every Day, Go Artificial
False or artificial nails are the perfect solution for many “nail events” in your life. They are a perfect solution for replacing a broken nail. They are great as a temporary fix until your own nails grow out. And they are there – instantly. What is more, they can be applied yourself at home and, provided you select the right size and do something creative to eliminate the plastic look, they can appear entirely natural and convincing.
False nails can be applied professionally in the salon, or you can apply them at home using widely-available nail enhancement kits. They come with their own adhesive and are easily cut and shaped to the style you want.
So, assuming you want to fit the nails yourself, how do you get started? Here are the six simple stages:
1. First, clean and dry your own natural nails. Then file and shape them in preparation for attaching the artificial nails.
2. Then – very important – choose the right size artificial nail for each finger. File the edges if necessary to get an exact fit.
3. Now spread a thin layer of nail adhesive over the whole area of your natural nail that will be in contact with the artificial nail.
4. Position the artificial nail such that it is very close to, but not touching, the cuticle. Then apply a light pressure to the top for a short time to allow the glue to take hold and set.
5. Once the nail is set firmly in position, file off any rough edges.
6. Apply two coats of nail varnish of the color you require, then finish off with a layer of topcoat to seal it.
It’s recommended that you don’t wear artificial nails for more than a few weeks at a time – say a month maximum. Then remove them and give your natural nails a chance to breathe and refresh their growth.
It’s also important that you always use proper nail adhesive and never just ordinary glue you might find around the house.
To remove artificial nails, soak them in a non-acetone polish remover until they start to dissolve and come away. It