Narcissistic Parents and the Damaging Effects on Your Adult Relationships: Toxic Family Legacy
Can being raised by a narcissist cause you to marry a narcissist?
If you’re married to a narcissist or in a long-term relationship with one, you may have also been raised by a toxic parent. This seems to be the case more often than not. Of course, there are other reasons you can end up with a narcissist, such as other types of childhood trauma and low-self esteem. But most of the time, people who were raised by healthy parents and who have reasonable self-esteem will not tolerate the abuse that comes with being involved with a narcissist.
So, let me ask you a few questions.
- If you were raised by a toxic parent who may have been a narcissist, did you also end up marrying one?
- And did you ever wonder exactly why you chose to get into a toxic relationship – and why you couldn’t see it in the first place?
- Do you ever as, yourself why you married the wrong person?
In this video, I’ll explain why narcissistic parents and the damaging effects of being raised by them can lead you to find yourself married to a narcissist, or at least continuing in toxic relationships long after you leave your family of origin.
Get Help with Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Here
Were you raised by a narcissist? If so, these resources will be helpful for you.
- If you’re looking for traditional narcissistic abuse recovery therapy, just be sure to interview your therapist ahead of time, even if that means you just chat with them by phone or video chat before your first appointment. To make sure they are qualified and will understand your situation, you’ll just need to ask the right questions ahead of time – take a look at our recommended list of therapist interview questions right here.
- Still not sure your parent is a narcissist? Take our toxic mother test for some additional insight, right here.
- Already know you’ve dealt with a narcissist mother? Get the support you need! Join our free online narcissistic abuse recovery support group for the adult children of narcissistic parents.
- Looking for more personal support? You might like to join one of our private small-group coaching sessions, or you might prefer to check out our one-on-one narcissistic abuse recovery counseling and coaching sessions.
- You can also sign up for our email newsletter service for absolutely free for an enhanced narcissistic abuse recovery experience.
Help With Recovery from Toxic Parents
- Books for Adult Children of Narcissistic Mothers
- Inner Child Healing
- Self-Identifying as the Adult Child of a Narcissist
- 63 Things Narcissistic Mothers Say
- Recovering From a Narcissist Mother
Resources for Survivors of Narcissistic Abuse
- Take the Test: Are you dealing with a toxic narcissist in a relationship?
- Healing Resources for Survivors
- How to Leave a Narcissist (PLAN)
- No Contact Support
- Tools for Recovery
- First Aid (PERK)
- Free Online Support Groups
- Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Coaching
You might also like these videos:
- When You Can’t Go No Contact With A Narcissist Grey Rock: What It Is, How to Use It with a Narcissist and Grey Rock Examples (Psychology)
- Narcissists Are Predictable! (The Truth on Why They’re All the Same)
- 4 Ways to Get a Narcissist to Leave You Alone
- When You See the Narcissist After No Contact
- The Codependent’s Guide to Setting Healthy Boundaries After a Toxic Relationship
- New! Identifying Narcissistic Abuse in Toxic Relationships
- ACON? How to explain why you went no-contact with a narcissistic parent
- Outrage: Narcissistic Fathers Who Leave You When You Are Pregnant
- Are narcissists jealous of their children?
- How to Train a Narcissist: A Non-Toxic, Repeatable Two-Step Plan to Get a Narcissist to Treat You Better
- Surviving Narcissistic Abuse: 65 Things You Might Say to Your Narcissist If You Could
- The Hard Part: Why and How You MUST Resist Narcissistic Hoovering
- The Addict or Alcoholic Narcissist and Codependent, Toxic Relationships
- 121 Things Narcissists Say When They Are Gaslighting You
- New Study Offers Surprising Insight Into Why You Fell for a Narcissist
Angela Atkinson is a certified trauma counselor and the author of more than 20 books on narcissism, narcissistic abuse recovery, and related topics. A recognized expert on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder who has studied and written extensively on narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic abuse in toxic relationships since 2006, she has a popular narcissistic abuse recovery YouTube channel. Atkinson was inspired to begin her work as a result of having survived toxic relationships of her own.
Atkinson offers trauma-informed narcissistic abuse recovery coaching and has certifications in trauma counseling, life coaching, level 2 therapeutic model, CBT coaching, integrative wellness coaching, and NLP. She is a certified trauma support coach and certified family trauma professional. She also has a professional PTSD counseling certification. Her mission is to help those who have experienced the emotional and mental devastation that comes with narcissistic abuse in these incredibly toxic relationships to (re)discover their true selves, stop the gaslighting and manipulation, and move forward into their genuine desires – into a life that is exactly what they choose for themselves.
Along with her solution-focused life coaching experience, Atkinson’s previous career in journalism and research helps her to offer both accurate and understandable information for survivors of abuse in a simple-to-understand way that helps to increase awareness in the narcissistic abuse recovery community. Atkinson founded QueenBeeing.com Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support, the SPANily Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support Groups and the Life Makeover Academy.
She offers individual and group coaching for victims and survivors of narcissistic abuse here at QueenBeeing.com and at NarcissisticAbuseRecovery.Online.