Depression, characterized by erratic mood swings, loss of interest in hobbies and activities is a very serious emotional disorder affecting about 9.5 per cent of the nation.
Needless to say, it is could be a lot more fatal if a depressed person is heading towards suicide.
Therefore, here are some signs to know if your loved one is considering suicide as a result of depression.
Depression Suicide: Warning Signs to be Aware of
1. Mentions of Suicide or Death
2. Wanting to tie up loose ends or give away personal belongings
3. Engaging in reckless behavior such as heavy alcohol and drug use
4. Withdrawing from family and friends
5. Erratic mood swings
6. Inappropriately saying goodbye.
7. Verbal behavior that is ambiguous or indirect: (for example: “I want to go to sleep and never wake up.”, “I’m so depressed, I just can’t go on.”, “Does God punish suicides?”
Though the signs and warnings may vary from person to person, it is important that you are able to recognize such warnings and take some steps to help your loved one.
Helping a loved one who is showing signs of Depression Suicide
If you believe someone is contemplating suicide do seek help immediately, however, there are several suicide prevention websites and hotlines available to help those in need, but in case these are not within your reach, you can try the following:
1. Cultivate Physical Closeness: Simple hugs, kisses on the cheeks, loving pats and compliments go a long way in healing a broken heart or depressed mind. Remember, sometimes the little things DO count.
2. If the person is acutely suicidal, do not leave him or her alone.
3. Remember: suicidal behavior is a cry for help. Thus if someone contemplating suicide turns to you, it is likely that he believes that you are more caring and more informed about coping with depression, and more willing to help. This in itself is a positive, thus it will be time to empower yourself to be what a suicidal person views you to be; stronger and you are.
4. Other steps to take include reassuring them that help is available and that with appropriate treatment they can feel better. Try not to patronize them by simply telling them that “everything will be fine,” or that “they have everything to live for.
5. Try to search the house for dangerous items such as guns and knives that could be potentially harmful.
In addition to the factors above, if you are of a spiritual inclination, this will be a good time to pray according to the framework of your faith. Indeed, prayer when used effectively can work wonders to aid in curtailing depression suicide.
Moreover, in the hopes that your loved one begins to show signs of improvement from the warnings indicating depression suicide, it will be great to start to include such drug-free approaches for depression treatment such as exercise: namely Yoga, a proper diet for physical health which in turn heals the mind and positive thinking and affirmations.
Naturally we all would get concerned or frightened if a loved one seems on the brink of suicide resulting from depression, however as with all life’s problems, if we can catch it early and nip it in the bud, depression suicide can be prevented. If things may have gotten more advanced, then it may be time to seek professional help or as an alternative double up on our efforts to steer the loved one back to a positive outlook on life.
- Magic Snacking: 12 Blissed-Out Ways to Eat More and Still Lose Weight
- Is your anger eating you alive? – QueenBeeingQueenBeeing
- Love a narcissist? This is why you feel like you’re living in a fog
- When a Narcissist Has a Bad Day: Why You Always Get the Brunt of It
- ADHD, Anxiety, and Narc Abuse: How are they connected?