Narcissistic Manipulation Technique: The Narcissistic Whirl Response to Gray Rock – How Narcissists React When You Successfully Gray Rock
Ever notice how some narcissists will have a complete meltdown if you don’t pay enough attention to them? Have you noticed how, when you try to use the gray rock method to deal with their gaslighting tactics, the meltdowns are a little different? I call this the narcissistic whirl response. Here is what you need to know.
What is the Narcissistic Whirl?
What is the narcissistic whirl? It’s a term I’ve coined for the quickly-shifting emotions of narcissists during conversations and interactions – especially with their primary source of supply.
In other words, the narcissistic whirl is a common response a narcissist will give you when you turn the tables on them by using the gray rock method in response to the narcissist’s attempt to gaslight and manipulate you.
What is gaslighting?
Gaslighting is a pervasive and highly-effective tactic meant to manipulate you into questioning your own sanity, your own perception of the world around you and even your own thoughts. It is used by most narcissists and is done in order to make you feel crazy and confused. The goal in most cases is to get you under control and make you dependent on the narcissist. You doubt yourself and your ability to make choices or even decide exactly what you’re seeing around you. Learn more about gaslighting and how to deal with it here.
What is the gray rock method?
Gray rock (or grey rock) is a coping technique to deal with an abusive narcissist who is actively gaslighting you. It was named and first published by a writer called Skylar.
How does the gray rock method work?
Skylar advises that you act boring and don’t react to the narcissist’s attempts to engage you in drama. The tactic is highly effective but also infuriating for narcissists to experience. Use with caution if you are dealing with any physical abuse as the narcissist may not react well.
Here is some additional help with using the gray rock method on your own.
- Gray Rock: Origin, Meaning and How to Use It Safely
- The Narcissistic Whirl Response to Gray Rock
- What to Do When Gray Rock Doesn’t Work
- Video Playlist on Gray Rock (Grey Rock)
Watch this video where I fill you in on the details of the narcissistic whirl response to the gray rock method – does it sound familiar to you? If you stick around through the end, I’ll also teach you how to deal with this particular technique without completely losing your mind – and what it means if it’s happening to you.
Narcissist Manipulation Technique: The Narcissistic Whirl Response to Gray Rock – How Narcissists React When You Successfully Gray Rock The Narcissistic Whirl
Helpful Articles and Information on Narcissistic Manipulation Techniques
- When a Narcissist Has a Bad Day: Why You Always Get the Brunt of It
- Narcissists and Public Humiliation: How & Why Narcs Shame You Publicly
- Take the Narcissistic Personality Inventory Test Here
- 101 Struggles Only Narcissistic Abuse Victims and Survivors Will Understand
- Why do narcissists follow identical relationship patterns?
- The Toxic Attraction Between Narcissists and Empaths
- Why Narcissists Are Often Misdiagnosed With Bipolar Disorder
- 30 Life-Changing Facts About Narcissists in Relationships
- Surviving Narcissistic Abuse: 65 Things You Might Say to Your Narcissist If You Could