I am an adult who had never shopped at Wal-Mart a day in her life until last year.
Okay, my mother and father might have taken me when I was a child. However, as an adult I had never willingly gone to Wal-Mart.
I knew that there was a certain negative stigma that comes with Wal-Mart and the people who work or shop there. I knew dirty people who worked at Wal-Mart.
I saw, just like everyone else, photos of people at Wal-Mart showing off their back boobs and men in Speedos checking out. I read the Google “fat costumes” article about Wal-Mart and their lack of decency. I was totally turned off by that store.
I felt like the people who shopped at Wal-Mart were below me. I don’t wear sweatpants out in public…like EVER! I don’t have crazy hair! I don’t have back boobs! I don’t wear nude leggings either.
I dress appropriately for my age. I love my kids and would never strap them to the bottom of a cart. I would never have poop stains let alone leave the house with them. I have self decency.
It seemed that the people who went to Wal-Mart did NOT!
I was wrong. I will be the first to admit it. I went to Wal-Mart last year. I learned so much about people and myself during this time.
1. Not everyone who goes to Wal-Mart is homeless – The people who shop at Wal-Mart are not homeless nor do they lack common sense. Some dress like they have no place to live but those people are the ones who don’t care what others think about them. I want to be more like that. I want to be able to walk out of the house in the middle of the night in my pjs to get meds for my kid without feeling judged too. (however, I will never leave the house without makeup) That must feel liberating! I am too judgmental of myself.
2. You look better than 99.99999999% of everyone there – Let’s face it. Wal-Mart is known for it’s crazy looking people. Need an esteem boost? How about a little pick me up? Go to Wal-Mart! I don’t even have to walk all the way inside sometimes. Just walking up to the door is enough for me.
3. You DO NOT have to wear spandex to shop at Wal-Mart – From photos on the web I was for certain that you had to wear spandex to shop at Wal-Mart. Preferably nude, two sizes too small spandex. I have since learned that you do not.
4. Their prices are great – We all know that some stuff at stores is priced higher. I’m not saying that Wal-Mart doesn’t do that too. However, I am saying that when I shop at a regular store versus Wal-Mart I do end up spending less. (What’s a “regular” store? Anything that is not Wal-Mart I consider a regular store.)
5. It’s an everything store – Groceries and clothes and electronics and paint and car repair and pet store and automotive store and why wouldn’t you shop here store? I was naive. I can now go to Wal-Mart and have my tires rotated, get a new car key made, while waiting on my living room paint to be mixed, grab the kid’s soccer shorts he needs for school, the daughter’s jewelry was fixed and is ready to be picked up at the jewelry counter, and I can get dinner for tonight even hot food all at one place. That’s a win, win, win!
I do not see people taking photos ever. I was always worried I’d be in the background of a Wal-Mart person’s photo shoot.
I have never witnessed someone posing in the dairy section for their senior photos.
I haven’t seen people having sex on the futons either. (bummer?) I do see strange people but that’s part of the fun.
I had totally the wrong idea of what this store was. Wal-Mart is just a regular store with a little something extra…everything!
I’m waiting for a nail salon and photo studio to come to our local store. Then my life will be complete.
I don’t know how many times I ran across a pin on Pinterest and wondered if that was possible. Will that project turn out okay even with ME doing it? Let’s find out together if these projects can be done.