Why do narcissists lie or bend the truth, even when it doesn’t benefit them to do so?
Is everything they say a lie? Can you even trust them with the truth? It’s because they’re pathological liars. In other words, narcissists lie like it’s their job. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had clients come to me and tell me that their first clue to figuring out they were dealing with a narcissist was their pathological behavior – and lying is the most common. I certainly don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but the fact is narcissists lie like normal people breathe.
Lying is an intrinsic part of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).
People with personality disorders are well known for being pathological liars, especially narcissists. However, people with borderline personality disorder or histrionic personality disorder can sometimes be just as big of liars.
In this video, you’ll learn how to recognize a narcissist’s false promises and get a life free from manipulation and mind games. As a special bonus, I’ll share my most effective tool for dealing with a lying narcissist. It’s so effective it can stop the narcissist in their tracks and change their lying behavior forever. There are three main kinds of lies that narcissists tell, and I’ll explain how narcissists’ lies are so different from everyone else’s – plus, I’ll show you how to catch a narcissist in their lies every single time.
Why do narcissists pathologically lie?
Why do narcissists always lie? How can you tell when a narcissist is lying? Since the only thing they care about is “winning”, lying feels like winning. What’s more, they feel like they need to lie because they don’t like the way the truth makes them feel anyway. They live in their own world, so in their minds, what everyone else thinks is irrelevant – which means that regardless of if it’s true or not, it doesn’t matter to them (and can even work to their advantage).
- To further their own agenda
- To protect themselves from getting hurt
- To exploit you or someone else.
- To gaslight and control you.
- To project their own bad behavior onto you or someone else.
Want to better understand why narcissists are what they are and what you can expect from them? Learn more about the narcissist’s cycle of abuse.
Start Getting Help with Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Today
Online help is readily available for survivors of narcissistic abuse. Here are some options to begin healing from narcissistic abuse right away.
- Sign up for our free email newsletter service that includes a free guided recovery experience via your inbox.
- Start your narcissistic abuse recovery here with our free narcissistic abuse recovery support system and program.
- Think you might have C-PTSD, but you’re not sure? Then, take our free C-PTSD Self-Assessment.
- Join one of our free online narcissistic abuse recovery support groups!
- Join one of our private small coaching groups!
- Get private, one-on-one narcissistic abuse recovery coaching or counseling.
- Get a therapist who will work with you online. Check out our guide to finding a therapist or psychologist who understands narcissism and narcissistic abuse.
- Narcissists and Public Humiliation: How & Why Narcs Shame You Publicly
- Take the Narcissistic Personality Inventory Test Here
- 101 Struggles Only Narcissistic Abuse Victims and Survivors Will Understand
- Why do narcissists follow identical relationship patterns?
- The Toxic Attraction Between Narcissists and Empaths
- Why Narcissists Are Often Misdiagnosed With Bipolar Disorder
- 30 Life-Changing Facts About Narcissists in Relationships
- Surviving Narcissistic Abuse: 65 Things You Might Say to Your Narcissist If You Could
- How to Train a Narcissist: A Non-Toxic, Repeatable Two-Step Plan to Get a Narcissist to Treat You Better
Angela Atkinson is a certified trauma counselor and the author of more than 20 books on narcissism, narcissistic abuse recovery, and related topics. A recognized expert on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder who has studied and written extensively on narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic abuse in toxic relationships since 2006, she has a popular narcissistic abuse recovery YouTube channel. Atkinson was inspired to begin her work as a result of having survived toxic relationships of her own.
Atkinson offers trauma-informed narcissistic abuse recovery coaching and has certifications in trauma counseling, life coaching, level 2 therapeutic model, CBT coaching, integrative wellness coaching, and NLP. She is a certified trauma support coach and certified family trauma professional. She also has a professional PTSD counseling certification. Her mission is to help those who have experienced the emotional and mental devastation that comes with narcissistic abuse in these incredibly toxic relationships to (re)discover their true selves, stop the gaslighting and manipulation, and move forward into their genuine desires – into a life that is exactly what they choose for themselves.
Along with her solution-focused life coaching experience, Atkinson’s previous career in journalism and research helps her to offer both accurate and understandable information for survivors of abuse in a simple-to-understand way that helps to increase awareness in the narcissistic abuse recovery community. Atkinson founded QueenBeeing.com Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support, the SPANily Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Support Groups and the Life Makeover Academy.
She offers individual and group coaching for victims and survivors of narcissistic abuse here at QueenBeeing.com and at NarcissisticAbuseRecovery.Online.