Have you heard the hype surrounding tiger nuts and resistant starch? They’re a popular paleo food option, and an essential part of some diets. If you’ve been wondering what they are and how to use them, then the following tips will help.
Learn about tiger nuts:
1. What are tiger nuts? The name is misleading since they have nothing to do with tigers and aren’t actually nuts.
- * Tiger nuts are tubers that grow wild around the world. They tend to be small and brown in color. They’re considered a root vegetable, about the same size as a chickpea. You may have seen bags of them at a whole food store.
- * In Africa, tiger nuts have been eaten for centuries.
- * They’re a nutritious food source, so they’re popular around the globe. It’s believed that ancient Egyptians ate them.
2. Health benefits. Tiger nuts are a rich source of vitamins and minerals:
- * They have high levels of phosphorous, potassium, and vitamins E and C.
- * Tiger nuts also have zinc, magnesium, and iron.
- * They’re a good source of protein, healthy fats, carbohydrates, and fiber.
- * They can help you stay full after a meal, so you’re less likely to overeat. They can also help regulate your digestive system because of the high amount of fiber. Tiger nuts don’t have gluten or dairy, so they’re safe for people with these allergens.
3. Resistant starch benefits. One of the reasons why tiger nuts are so popular on the paleo diet is because of their resistant starch. They have more resistant starch than potatoes and other vegetables.
- * Resistant starch is important because it takes longer to digest, so you feel fuller and don’t eat as much. This is one way that some are able to maintain a target weight or lose weight.
- * Another benefit of resistant starch is that it may help colon health.
- * Research shows that this type of starch may also help control blood sugar levels, prevent or fight diabetes, and reduce your appetite.
4. How to find and eat tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are generally available at many health food stores. They can also be purchased online. They’re mostly sold in bags.
- * You can eat them straight from the bag. Some prefer to soak them in water, so they’re easier to eat. However, eating tiger nuts raw is fine according to nutritionists.
- * You may also see tiger nut flour. This will give you the option of cooking or baking with this root vegetable.
- * Tiger nut milk may be available in your area. Since it doesn’t have dairy, it’s a common option for those who can’t tolerate lactose or are allergic to milk.
- * Experts recommend looking for organic and preservative-free tiger nuts. You want to avoid tiger nuts that have been processed with chemicals or have added artificial ingredients. It’s also crucial to avoid the tiger nuts with extra sugar in them since it contradicts the health benefits. Tiger nuts are naturally crunchy and not sweet.
Tiger nuts are a source of resistant starch that helps you stick to a nutritious diet. They’re a generally healthy option for those who follow paleo and other food trends.