In the brief detour, we’re going to take the next step.of the Writing Your Own Story series, we discussed identifying and releasing negative self perceptions. And now, after a
Once you have released the negative perceptions about yourself, what will you have left? Hopefully, a lot of positive ones. Even so, by clearing all of the negative thoughts and perceptions about yourself, you may find that your slate feels a little blank. Your self-perception “vessel” may be in need of a refill, so to speak.
It might feel exciting and like a great opportunity–or maybe it feels a little scary to you.
After all, you now get to decide how you want to perceive yourself. As you believe, you become (especially with a little inspired action.)
How cool is that, right?
Ok, so by now, you’ve cleared out the old negativity and are ready to become the YOU of your dreams, right?
Who is that YOU? Do you know who you want to be?
If so, then begin to become that YOU right now. Believe that you will be who you want to be and ACT AS IF you are already there. Believe that you are there–claim it as your own. You may have to work for it, but if you take inspired action, it doesn’t feel much like work.
What if you’re not sure who you want to be?
First, sit down and think about your relationships with others. Grab a sheet of paper or pull up a word document (or hey, a blog post, if you want.) What do you think when you look in the mirror, both literally and figuratively? Consider the following questions.
1. What kind of people am I drawn to?
2. What qualities do these people have that I enjoy? What qualities do they have that I don’t like?
3. Are these qualities that I have, or would like to have? Or are these qualities that compliment my own?
4. What messages have I accepted from others about who I am? Which have I rejected?
5. Are these messages accurate? If so, do I want them to be?
By understanding what you find attractive (and unattractive) in others, you can begin to understand what you like (and don’t like) about yourself. Inevitably, the qualities that you are most attracted to are those you possess (or want to possess.)
And, of course, once you figure out which qualities you like and want to possess, you’re on your way to filling your “empty vessel.” Embrace the qualities you lovea
My challenge to you today is to continue actively releasing negative self perceptions, and to begin to believe that you can become what you want to be.
- Breaking Through: Do You Believe What You Think You Believe? (inpursuitoffulfillment.com)
- How to Find Your Happy Place Even When Life Sucks (inpursuitoffulfillment.com)
- On Creating Personal Change: Get Your Copy F-R-E-E Today! (inpursuitoffulfillment.com)